Subscribe
to our
Newsletter

Anteprima Vernaccia di San Gimignano 2016 Sunday 14th and Wednesday 17th of February De Grada Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art San Gimignano

The eleventh edition of the Anteprima della Vernaccia di San Gimignano, organised by the Consorzio della Denominazione San Gimignano, falls in a very important year for the territory and all the producers.
2016 is the fiftieth anniversary of attainment of the denomination of controlled origin (DOC) by Vernaccia di San Gimignano, the first Italian wine to receive this acknowledgement, in 1966.
On Sunday 14th and Wednesday 17th of February, in the rooms of the De Grada Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, thirty-eight producers of San Gimignano will be presenting the new vintages of Vernaccia di San Gimignano, 2015 and 2014 for the Reserve, to operators, journalists and wine lovers.
The 2015 vintage confirms the excellent expectations of the harvest: healthy and perfectly ripe grapes have produced a scented, balanced Vernaccia di San Gimignano with a nice structure.
The seasonal progress during 2015 was distinguished by very high temperatures from June until the beginning of August. Subsequently, heavy rainfall alternated with sunny days and the big difference between diurnal and nocturnal temperatures made it possible to reach harvesting, which began in the second ten days of September, with excellent quality grapes. The sunny weather enabled the estates to complete the harvest quickly and in perfect conditions. We could say that the 2015 harvest of Vernaccia di San Gimignano was one of the best in recent years.
All this quality corresponds to a smaller quantity: 41,056 hectolitres of Vernaccia di San Gimignano, made from 730 hectares of vineyards registered for 2015, about 9% less than the previous year.
In addition to the 2015 vintage, we will also be tasting Vernaccia di San Gimignano Riserva 2014.
The Reserves of the 2014 vintage are the result of meticulous work by the producers. 2014 wasn’t an easy year like 2015, as it was characterised by unusual seasonal progress, with below-average temperatures and above-average rainfall, which required lots of attention and care in the vineyards and then in the cellar. In the end, however, all the hard work has paid off: the 2014 Reserves are now refined and elegant, strongly featuring the mineral characteristics of the grape variety.
The economy linked to winegrowing and the industry surrounding it is extremely important for the territory of San Gimignano: in 2015, the sales turnover from wine production was estimated at 41.5 million euros, 16.5 of which from the sale of Vernaccia di San Gimignano.
The export of Vernaccia di San Gimignano accounts for 52% of the total sales turnover and the main European market for Vernaccia di San Gimignano in 2015 was Germany, followed by Switzerland, the UK, the Netherlands and Belgium, in that order. But the most important market overall continues to be the United States, where over a million of the 5.5 million bottles made during the year were sold.
On the domestic market, 19.2% of the total production for 2015 was sold directly by the estates to final consumers, while 16.5% went to businesses in San Gimignano. This means that 35.7% of production was absorbed by local commerce and just over 12% was distributed throughout the rest of Italy.
Another important economic element for the territory of San Gimignano is wine tourism: holiday farms recorded a turnover of three million euros in 2015, with wine stores making sales for a total of almost seven million and restaurants exceeding 24 million euros.


The producers list:
Alessandro Tofanari
Canneta
Cantine Guidi
Cantine Melini
Cappella Sant'Andrea
Casa alle Vacche
Casale Falchini
Cesani
Fattoria Abbazia di Monte Oliveto
Fattoria di Fugnano e Bombereto
Fattoria di Pancole
Fattoria Poggio Alloro
Fattoria San Donato
Fontaleoni
Fornacelle
Il Colombaio di Santa Chiara
Il Lebbio
Il Palagione
La Lastra
Lucii Libanio
Macinatico
Montenidoli
Mormoraia
Palagetto
Panizzi
Podere Le Volute
Poderi Arcangelo
Poderi del Paradiso
Rampa di Fugnano
San Benedetto
San Quirico
Signano
Tenuta La Vigna
Tenuta Le Calcinaie
Tenute Guicciardini Strozzi
Teruzzi & Puthod
Tollena
Torre Prima