Programme Sunday, 16 February 2:30 - 7:00 pm: Anteprima Vernaccia di San Gimignano, at the Rocca di Montestaffoli....
Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG and Vinitaly 2016 celebrate their first 50 years of life together
Vinitaly, Italy’s most important international wine fair, isn’t the only organisation to be celebrating its 50th anniversary this year; the Consorzio della Denominazione San Gimignano, which, as always, will be present in pavilion 9, C 14, with a stand renewed specifically for the occasion, will also be celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the denomination of origin of Vernaccia di San Gimignano, the first wine in Italy to bear this mark, assigned in 1966.
This is an important appointment, to present the new vintages of Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG and San Gimignano DOC, with almost 150 labels of 36 estates presented for tasting at the Consortium table, to the large numbers of national and international operators, to the trade press and to the wine-loving public.
The Consortium shares the 220-metre area with 12 associated estates which have their stand here: Casa alle Vacche, Cesani, Fattoria di Pancole, Guidi, La Lastra, Il Lebbio, Mormoraia, Poderi Paradiso, Poggio Alloro, San Quirico, Signano, Tollena.
All eyes will be focused particularly on the Vernaccia di San Gimignano 2015, which confirmed the excellent expectations of the harvest at the first appointments of the year, Anteprima 2016 and Prowein, revealing itself to be one of the best in recent years, producing aromatic, balanced wines with excellent structure.
All this quality corresponds to a smaller quantity: 41,056 hectolitres of Vernaccia di San Gimignano produced from the 730 hectares of vineyard registered, about 9% less than the previous year.
In addition to the 2015 vintage, we will also be presenting Vernaccia di San Gimignano Riserva 2014, produced in a year made difficult by unusual seasonal progress which forced producers to work with particular attention. The 2014 Reserves are now refined and elegant, with the mineral characteristics of the grape variety prevailing.
The figures of Vernaccia di San Gimignano
In 2015, the turnover from wine production in the San Gimignano area was estimated at 41.5 million euros, 16.5 of which from the sale of the 5.5 million bottles of Vernaccia di San Gimignano made during the year.
Exports of Vernaccia di San Gimignano account for 52% of the total sales figure: the leading European market in 2015 was Germany, followed by Switzerland, the UK, the Netherlands and Belgium. However, the most important market continues to be the US, which imported over a million bottles.
As regards the domestic market, 19.2% of the total production of 2015 was sold directly to consumers from the cellars, while 16.5% went to businesses in San Gimignano. This means that 35.7% of production was marketed locally and that just over 12% was destined to the rest of Italy.